Emerson Hospital urologists provide comprehensive services for urologic conditions and bring the most advanced diagnostic and treatment expertise to patients.
Emerson’s advanced diagnostic capabilities for urologic conditions include MRI, a 64-slice CT scanner, ultrasound and a skilled pathology staff.
Emerson’s urology department offers state-of-the-art treatment for urologic conditions including:
Urologic cancers are treated with a multidisciplinary team made up of Emerson’s experienced medical oncologists and radiation oncologists, as well as the patient’s referring physician. If surgery is required, urologists work closely with Emerson’s expert anesthesiologists, who provide clinical anesthesia services for inpatients and outpatient surgical patients.
Bladder Cancer – Emerson urologists perform transurethral resection of bladder tumors—the surgical removal of tumors that can cause problems or which could spread to other parts of the body.
- Prostate Cancer – Treatment for prostate cancer includes both surgical and non-surgical options.
- Kidney Cancer – Emerson urologists perform laparoscopic nephrectomies (kidney removals), which are less invasive and less painful than open surgery.
- Testicular Cancer – Care for patients with testicular cancer is coordinated with medical and radiation oncologists.
Advanced treatments for prostate enlargement and obstruction include:
- Transurethral resection (TURP)
- Laser surgery
- Office-based thermal therapies such as transurethral needle ablation (TUNA) and transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT)
Treatments for kidney, bladder and ureteral stones include:
- Extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy
- Ureteroscopic stone treatments
- Laser lithotripsy
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
Available treatments include:
- Oral medications
- Injection therapy
- Prosthesis surgery
Emerson urologists provide testing for infertility and surgical treatment of varicoceles. In addition to performing standard and non-scalpel vasectomies, they also perform microsurgical vasovasostomies (vasectomy reversals).
Surgical treatment and effective rehabilitation for incontinence, post-surgical pain and groin pulls are also specialties of Emerson’s urology department. Specially trained physical therapists provide this service through the pelvic health outpatient rehabilitation program, which has locations in Concord and Westford.
Diagnostic services and treatments for incontinence in men and women include:
- In-office urodynamic testing
- Non-surgical treatments include rehabilitation via pelvic floor exercises
- Surgical treatments include the pubo-vaginal sling procedure and construction of artificial sphincters in men
- Vaginal and uterine prolapse repairs are also performed
The vast majority of pediatric urologic procedures can be performed at Emerson, including treatment for undescended testes and hydrocele. The hospital’s highly regarded Pediatric Intervention Team helps make the experience a comfortable one for patients and their parents.