Emerson Hospital offers diagnostic services and comprehensive treatment for gastro-intestinal conditions including disorders of the esophagus, stomach and intestine, diseases of the liver, pancreas and gallbladder, and cancer of the colon, pancreas and esophagus.
- Diagnosis and treatment for peptic ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux, abdominal pain and irritable bowel syndrome
- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis diagnosis and management
- Evaluation and treatment for diseases of the pancreas, bile ducts, liver including jaundice, and gallbladder including the diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP procedure
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP) procedure combines an endoscope with X-ray to examine the tubes that drain the liver, gallbladder and pancreas. ERCP is used to diagnose the cause of gastrointestinal problems. ERCP can also be used to treat certain conditions—some gallstones can be removed and stents can be placed to open narrowed bile ducts.
- Colorectal cancer screening including sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy is an outpatient procedure in which a sigmoidoscope (a long, flexible instrument about ½-inch in diameter) is used to view the lining of the rectum and the lower third of the colon (called the sigmoid and descending colon). This test is usually done every five years and can be used in combination with the yearly fecal occult blood test.
- Endoscopy services from a skilled team of specialists in gastroenterology using advanced video endoscopic equipment in Emerson Hospital’s state-of-the-art endoscopy suite
- Endoscopy is a broad name for a variety of medical techniques used to examine the inside of the body using an endoscope—a lighted, flexible instrument. The endoscope is inserted through the mouth and gently threaded down the throat into the esophagus, stomach and duodenum. It contains a tiny video camera, which projects images onto a monitor. Endoscopy is used to retrieve tissue samples for evaluation (biopsy), to remove small growths (polyps) and to treat bleeding ulcers.
Diagnosis for GI cancer
Emerson’s endoscopy suite is equipped with state-of-the-art technology. The physicians and staff members are experienced gastroenterology specialists dedicated to ensuring the highest quality of care, patient comfort and privacy. The Endoscopy Center offers flexible hours; you can schedule your appointment early or late in the day. Plus, we have all the medical backup you could need, such as anesthesiology staff, on call at all times
For more information about Emerson’s Endoscopy Center, call 978-287-3300.
Support Services and Groups
Emerson offers community health and wellness programs and classes designed to support patients with a wide range of health issues. A celiac disease support group is also available.
Emerson’s Lund Community Health Library offers information that can help individuals understand and cope with the diagnosis of a medical condition and learn about the latest treatment methods.