Emerson’s neurosurgeons perform many of the most common spine, head and nerve procedures. A neurosurgeon is available 24x7 to see patients in the hospital and at the Polo Emergency Center. Emerson’s experienced neurosurgeons use sophisticated imaging technology, operating microscopes and new minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and treat neurosurgical issues.
Emerson offers complete diagnostic services for neurosurgical conditions. Diagnostic procedures available include:
- EMG – Electromyograms measure the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction. This test can help find diseases that damage muscle tissue (muscular dystrophy) or nerves (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or peripheral neuropathies) EMGs are also used to evaluate nerves and muscles, neuropathies, pinched nerves, carpal tunnel syndrome and muscle diseases.
- EEG – Electroencephalograms measure and record electrical activity in the brain. Electrodes are attached to the head and connected by wires to a computer. EEGs are also used in the evaluation of seizures and changes in mental status, neuromuscular disease, epilepsy and stroke.
- Head and spine CT
- Head and spine MRI
- PET scanning
Emerson neurosurgeons offer treatment for the following conditions:
- Ruptured disc – cervical and lumbar spine
- Spinal stenosis – cervical and lumbar spine
- Spondylosis – cervical and lumbar spine
- Spinal cord tumors
- Shunts for normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Ulnar neuritis of the elbow
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Support Services and Groups
Emerson offers a wide range of community health and wellness programs and classes designed to support patients with a wide range of health issues.
Emerson’s Lund Community Health Library offers information that can help individuals understand and cope with the diagnosis of a medical condition and learn about the latest treatment methods.